April 2, 2009
TMI Thursday: The Diner
Because oversharing is fun, we have another installment of TMI Thursday!
As you may have gathered, I am from New Jersey. The Land of Milk and Honey. Home to more diners per capita than any other state. And like so many other Jersey girls, I had one that I frequented with some regularity as soon as my friends and I could procure or provide rides.
I’ve also mentioned having allergies, I think. What I might not have mentioned was that I went for injections on a regular basis from the time I was two, until I graduated high school. These injections, one in each arm, were significantly responsible for my well-defined triceps – my arms would swell for a day or so after each visit.
So, it was late in the spring of my senior year, after my prom date had given me my first cigarette. I’d just driven from the allergist directly to the diner to meet up with a group of friends, most of whom were really into music and alternative recreation, and all of whom had a couple of good reasons to sit in the smoking section. To this group, I was something of an anomaly – a nonjudgmental straight arrow. But when R heard I’d had a cigarette, she demanded to witness it for herself.
So I lit up, took a few puffs, and picked at the communal plate of cheese fries (with gravy). I tried to pay attention to the conversation, but was too unfamiliar with the intricacies of Pink Floyd and a little concerned with the tingly numbness that was taking over my hands and lips.
I was, apparently, pale bordering on grey. Fortunately, my late arrival had secured me a seat at the end of the booth, so when I said I was going to splash some water on my face, it was easy for me to get up. Or should have been, but a friend had to grab my arm to steady me. As his thumb pressed into my tricep, I realized just how stupid I’d been. An hour prior, I’d been injected with approximately 13 substances my body found objectionable. Then I’d had a cigarette, and then attempted to consume cheese fries (which, while delicious, may not have contained a single natural ingredient). Given the number of toxins present, something had to go.
Luckily, I made it to the bathroom before the fries made it out. And my friends were cool enough to stop laughing before I made it back to the table.